Diplomat News Network – Somalia & Global News

Fire Engulfs Two Shopping Galleries in Bujumbura

by: Guled Abdi | Saturday, 22 August 2026 01:06 EAT
0 Comments
59
Flames and thick smoke rise from the Le Parisien and Ndayizamba shopping galleries as emergency crews respond to the fire in central Bujumbura, Burundi, on August 21, 2026.
Flames and thick smoke rise from the Le Parisien and Ndayizamba shopping galleries as emergency crews respond to the fire in central Bujumbura, Burundi, on August 21, 2026.
Bujumbura (Diplomat.so) - The Le Parisien and Ndayizamba shopping galleries were engulfed by fire in central Bujumbura, Burundi, early Friday, August 21, destroying businesses as emergency crews battled the blaze.
The fire was reported at Ndayizamba at about 6:30 a.m. before spreading to the neighboring Le Parisien complex, where flames were reported roughly 90 minutes later. Firefighters, civil protection police and other responders worked through the morning as thick smoke rose above the commercial center and traders attempted to recover merchandise.

By mid-morning, firefighters were still struggling to bring the blaze under control. Emergency vehicles, including a fire truck dispatched by UNICEF, took part in the response. The proximity of surrounding commercial and public buildings heightened concerns about further spread.

Burundi Vice President Prosper Bazombanza visited the scene alongside Interior and Public Security Minister Léonidas Ndaruzaniye and other senior officials. Bazombanza emphasized the need for commercial developments to provide access routes for emergency vehicles.

"Those who build markets like these should make sure they leave roads through which fire engines can pass,” Bazombanza said during the visit. He also encouraged traders and commercial property owners to consider insurance as protection against major losses.

Ndaruzaniye separately urged traders and administrators to reconsider the use of charcoal-burning irons inside multi-storey shopping galleries, citing the potential fire risks associated with commercial activity in densely occupied buildings. He did not attribute Friday’s blaze to such equipment.

Diplomat News Network’s review of information available after the fire found that authorities had not announced a confirmed cause, casualty figure or official estimate of financial losses. Traders gathered near the affected buildings as emergency teams continued operations, with some merchants unable to immediately determine how much stock had been destroyed.

The incident renewed scrutiny of fire preparedness in Bujumbura’s commercial districts. Provincial Governor Aloys Ndayikengurukiye warned in July that inadequate access lanes at shopping galleries could prevent fire engines from reaching emergencies effectively.

"It is obvious that the galleries do not have access lanes,” Ndayikengurukiye said at the time, urging property owners to create passages for emergency vehicles.

The two galleries became important commercial destinations after the January 2013 destruction of Bujumbura’s central market. Burundi has experienced several other commercial fires in 2026, including incidents at Ngozi central market and markets in Jabe and Kinama.

Gabriel Rufyiri, chairman of civil society organization OLUCOME, called for the National Security Council to examine the latest incident and clarify its cause.

The repeated fires have placed renewed attention on emergency access, prevention measures and firefighting capacity in Burundi’s commercial centers. Authorities had not announced the cause of Friday’s blaze as assessments of the damage continued.

Diplomat News Network | For inquiries: diplomatso@diplomat.so | About Us

Related Items