“Couple kidnapped in Burkina Faso were Australian citizens” : President
Ouagadougou,Burkina Faso ( Reuters + Xinhua + DIPLOMAT.SO) – A couple kidnapped overnight in northern Burkina Faso near the border with Mali are Australian citizens who run a clinic and have lived in the West African nation since 1972, President Roch Marc Christian Kabore said on Saturday.
In an address broadcast on state-owned television, Kabore identified the victims of the abduction, which took place as al Qaeda fighters were attacking a hotel in the capital, as Kenneth and Jocelyn Elliott. Burkina Faso’s security ministry had earlier said the couple were Austrian citizens.
Six Canadians killed in Burkina Faso attacks: PM Justin Trudeau
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau confirmed Saturday that six Canadians were killed in the terrorist attacks in Quagadougou, Burkina Faso.
In a statement issued here Tuesday, the prime minister said “Canada strongly condemns the deadly attacks that took place in Quagadougou, Burkina Faso.”
“On behalf of all Canadians, we offer our deepest condolences to the families, friends and colelagues of all those killed and a speedy recovery to all those injured,” he said, “we are deeply saddended by these senseless acts of violence on innocent civilians.”
“We have offered assistance to the Burkinabe authorities in their investigation of this terrible crime,” he added.
At least 23 people from 18 nationalities were killed and many others injured in the terrorist attacks on a luxury hotel in Quagadougou, the capital of Burkina Faso on Friday.
An al-Qaeda-linked terrorist group has claimed responsibility for the attacks which started Friday night and lasted hours.For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter , or contact us through our Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org