• Custom Search

Saudi-led coalition jets bombed suspicious areas of the Yemeni capital Sanaa

By Tajuddin
In WORLD NEWS
May 27th, 2015
0 Comments
916 Views
TWITTER
Smoke billows following an air-strike by the Saudi-led coalition on a Huthi rebel arms depot in Sanaa, on May 22, 2015,AFP

Smoke billows following an air-strike by the Saudi-led coalition on a Huthi rebel arms depot in Sanaa, on May 22, 2015,AFP

Riyadh ( AFP + DIPLOMAT.SO) – Saudi-led coalition warplanes bombed rebel troop headquarters in the Yemeni capital on Wednesday in strikes that killed “at least 15” people, witnesses and medical sources said.

A coalition led by Riyadh launched air strikes in Yemen on March 26 against Shiite Huthi rebels and allied forces loyal to former leader Ali Abdullah Saleh in a bid to restore UN-backed President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi to power.

The jets on Wednesday targeted the special forces command headquarters in southern Sanaa, as well as an arms depot in Fajj Attan, a neighbourhood overlooking the capital, residents said.

Medics told AFP that the raids had inflicted “dozens” of casualties, without providing a specific toll.

One medical source at Sanaa’s Sabeen Hospital said the facility had received “at least 15 dead and dozens wounded”, without specifying if the casualties included civilians.

Other raids on Wednesday badly damaged a rebel-controlled naval base in the province of Hodeidah on the Red Sea coast, residents said.

Strikes also hit the northern rebel stronghold province of Hajja, near the border with Saudi Arabia, witnesses said, reporting casualties.

In the southern province of Daleh, the coalition carried out an early morning raid against a rebel-held military camp, located north of the provincial capital.

Anti-rebel militia have been trying to retake the camp.

The pro-Hadi fighters said Tuesday they have regained control of the provincial capital itself, also named Daleh.

The coalition hit other rebel positions in the central city of Dhammar as well as oil-rich Marib, in the east, residents said.

The United Nations, trying to re-schedule peace talks for Yemen, says almost 2,000 people have been killed and more than half a million displaced in the conflict since March.

World Health Organisation chief Margaret Chan said Wednesday that the toll includes “hundreds of women and children,” adding that “almost 7.5 million people are in urgent need of medical help.”

“Hospitals around the country are closing down their emergency operations rooms and intensive care units due to shortages in staff and fuel for generators,” said Chan.

“The health and lives of millions of people are at risk.”

She urged all parties to “respect their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians, health facilities and health staff during conflict and to permit the supply of vital humanitarian aid.”

Relief agency Oxfam warned on Tuesday that at least 16 million people, or two thirds of the population, had been left with no access to clean drinking water because of the conflict.

For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter and Subcripe our Youtube Channel,Or contact us through our Emails : info@diplomat.so,adv@diplomat.so,diplomatnewsdesk@gmail.com

TWITTER For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter , or contact us through our Email: diplomatso@diplomat.so, diplomatsonews@gmail.com

Comments are closed.