• Custom Search

Afghanistan : Taliban claims responsibility for an attack killed three Americans

By Tajuddin
In WORLD NEWS
Jan 30th, 2015
0 Comments
1967 Views
TWITTER
The Taliban remain resilient and capable to challenge US and international goals in Afghanistan

The Taliban remain resilient and capable to challenge US and international goals in Afghanistan

Kabul ( Agencies + DIPLOMAT.SO) – The Taliban have claimed responsibility for an attack at a military base at Kabul’s international airport that killed three Americans and one Afghan Thursday.

A U.S. official confirmed that the shooting occurred at about 6:40 p.m. local time Thursday. There was no further comment because the incident was under investigation.

The Taliban’s claim of responsibility came in a message from spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, who identified the attacker as a man named Hessanulla from Laghman province, just east of Kabul.

Mujahid said that the militant had infiltrated the ranks of Afghanistan’s forces to stage the attack and wore an Afghan police uniform. An Afghan official with the country’s Defense Ministry said the attacker was in an Afghan army uniform. According to The Washington Post, Mujahid added in a tweet that the terrorist had “opened fire on invaders” before he was “martyred by return fire.” It was not immediately clear if the Afghan confirmed dead was the gunman.

The attack came on the same day that White House spokesman Josh Earnest described the Taliban as an “armed insurgency,” not a terrorist group. However, Earnest was also made to acknowledge that the Treasury Department had called the Taliban just that going back to 2002.

The spokesman also acknowledged that the Taliban “carry out tactics that are akin to terrorism, they do pursue terror attacks in an effort to try to advance their agenda.” The Obama administration has repeatedly said the U.S. government does not negotiate with terrorists, despite trading five Taliban fighters held at Guantanamo for Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl.

The U.S. combat mission in Afghanistan ended last year, but there are just over 10,000 U.S. soldiers and military contractors still in the country, mostly in an advisory capacity to the new Afghan National Army.

In the final weeks before the formal end of combat operations, the Taliban increased the frequency and intensity of its attacks against foreigners and Afghans alike. However, Thursday’s killings were the first violence in the capital in approximately three weeks. Earlier in the day, a roadside bomb in Laghman province killed four people, including a police commander. Afghan officials said a second suicide bomber targeted the commanders funeral later in the day, killing 16 people and wounding 39.

For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter and Subcripe our Youtube Channel,Or contact us through our Emails : info@diplomat.so,adv@diplomat.so,diplomatnewsdesk@gmail.com

TWITTER For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter , or contact us through our Email: diplomatso@diplomat.so, diplomatsonews@gmail.com

Comments are closed.