Iran urges rapid release of diplomat in Yemen
Sana ( DIPLOMAT) – Iran has called on Yemeni authorities to take measures to secure the immediate release of an Iranian diplomat abducted in the Arab country last July.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister for Arab and African Affairs Hossein Amir-Abdollahian said on Monday that the prolonged procedure of the release of the kidnapped diplomat Nour Ahmad Nikbakht is not “acceptable”.
Amir-Abdollahian further said that the Iranian diplomat is in good health.
The Iranian official hailed efforts by Yemeni security officials to ensure the release of Nikbakht. He, however, said that the lengthy process of the Iranian diplomat’s release is “ambiguous”.
Nikbakht was on his way to work from his home in the diplomatic quarter of Sana’a on July 21, 2013, when unidentified gunmen blocked the road, forced him out of his vehicle and abducted him.
In late January, a decapitated body was found in central Yemen which was believed to belong to Nikbakht. However, Tehran denied reports that the beheaded body was the Iranian diplomat’s.
Earlier in May, Yemen’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Abu Bakr Abdullah al-Qirbi said Nikbakht is alive and in good health. Also in February Yemeni charge d’affaires to Tehran, Abdullah Ali al-Seri, said that Yemen’s Interior Ministry and security forces are responsible for investigating the fate of the abducted Iranian diplomat.For more news and stories, join us on Facebook,Twitter , or contact us through our Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com